Powered By Blogger

Sunday 11 September 2011

Sirens
Before he set sail,
his course all set out
on a home made chart,
they told him about the rocks


"Don't go near"!  they said
"They're sharp and the women who live there will sing,
thoughts of deep salt kisses will  fill your head,
they'll sigh and longing for limbs entwined will cloud your mind,


Remember the rocks,
you'll bleed
you'll drown,
you'll go down


So, he promised not to go near the rocks
and, as he sailed away he waved
and he shouted he'd write,
when he hit land
when he got there,
he'd let them know
all things would be fine,
he'd be alright 


A few days later down on the beach
something was found,
pulled from the surf,
tattered and dripping,the words on it blurred  by the salt water
taken back, it was laid out on the ground,
the home made chart with a course set out


They cried and shouted,
between the sobs
how they wished he'd listened to those who knew


They should have saved their breath
and their tears too
because,
from the moment they'd said don't go near the rocks
that was all he'd wanted to do..



1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this! I can almost hear seagulls when I read it! I wanted to post a comment when I first read it the day you uploaded it, but unfortunately my phone wouldn't let me. Now I have a laptop, this is the first place I came. You have a fantastic imagination. I'm very glad you found an outlet for it, and even more glad (gladder?) I got to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete