Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 3 August 2011

You can't help everyone...no seriously, you can't....

Working with people,

It's a noble and worthwhile occupation and before I go any further, I'd just like to salute my fellow strugglers who, like me, suddenly woke up one day, like all the others before them, and for some reason decided that that was the day to make our lives more fulfilling. How we were going to do this we didn't know, all we we knew was.....that we were going to help people. It didn't matter how and to be honest, it was quite vague ,more like that "If I help people I will be a better person" thing than anything else but we knew that it was something we were meant to do, something we'd been putting off for too long, still working in jobs that no longer gave us any satisfaction and only highlighted the struggle within to better ourselves and The World!

Again...well done..for even thinking about it.

How many of you are still there?  How long did it take you to discover that not everybody can be helped how you wanted to?

Perhaps it was my own foolish sense of idealism that made me think I could be all things to all men. Don't get me wrong in any way, I'm glad I did this. I could of stayed in my previous job that frankly was a bums paradise and suited the young long haired and beardy me. Though, if I had, I wouldn't be writing this now and would much more likely have been a toothless drunk. I didn't stay I did this instead.


 Through this I've had some very successful and personally rewarding  experiences and I have actually grown and developed as a person. I've met  people that have inspired me with their strength in facing things that I would  never be able to and I 've come across situations that have more than reinforced my own belief that life at its easiest is all shades of grey  but 10 years down the line, there have been some shocks and some jading has certainly taken place.


Over exposure to successions of Government funded programmes, that seem to be designed to ignore everything that's human about people and  the way we all have different wants, needs, dreams , fears and hopes and conceitedly assume everyone is meant to work in some I.T or office based environment, has dulled the bright young spark that filled my inexperienced head..... made me harsh,sometimes, to those who have least deserved it.

Somewhere along the line, the whole help thing became something else, something more like smacking  square pegs into round holes and it made those who wouldn't fit, no matter how hard they got hit by incentives and programmes designed to get them into "normal society" all the more...square, all the more unemployable by today's standards, made they somehow guilty for not being able to fit into the expected mould and contribute to the already bloated and slow dying system that even now is so near fucked it's easier just not to even think about it.


And now here I am, all the way from being put in front of a room full of 16 year olds and suddenly being called a Life Skills Tutor, to finding myself practically working for The Job Centre in some farcical and sometimes hilarious situation as an Employability Tutor...how did that happen?


I could turn this blog into a forum for ranting. A place to spill bile and scorn on those who I come across on a daily basis but I won't. This,like every other thing I feel the need to write something about is just a single thought in a whole  long meandering line of thoughts and I don't really know where I want it to go but go somewhere it will.


Just to put some sort of lid on this particular biscuit tin I'll end with this. I've learnt a few things from all this, there are people who need help and always will, there are those who are more than able to do things for themselves and just need a little push in the right direction and there are the others, those who can't be bothered to do anything because it's easier to be a smart arse and blame others for the shitty way their lives have turned out.


I have learned about people....

No comments:

Post a Comment